Saturday, January 21, 2012

Sauteed Green Beans and Sausage

I'm not a fan of green beans.  My children, of course, love them.  A few years ago a friend shared with me how she makes green beans much tastier.  I've elaborated on that idea and now have a green bean dish that we can all agree on!

The green beans are really simple.  Cook green beans in sesame oil, add a can of artichokes.  Simmer in soy sauce, add French Fried Onions.  Enjoy.  I like to cook them a long time.  The green beans really soak up that soy sauce flavor if you cook them for a while.

French's French Fried onions are an amazing invention.  They're like butter and bacon...they make everything taste better!  I like them in salads, in vegetables, in stir-fry.  We also like to just eat them right out of the can.  They're certainly not the healthiest thing at the supermarket, but I know I can find worse.  Baby steps, right?!  Maybe I'll try to figure out a way to make my own without wheat.

I was having a lazy dinner night, not really wanting to cook.  The green beans sounded good so I went looking for something to go with them.  We usually make FFO Chicken and buttered egg noodles.  I didn't have any chicken thawed.  I haven't bought egg noodles in two months.  I found some Johnsonville sausages in the refrigerator.  Eureka!  A delicious dinner wasn't far away... 



I got this sausage on sale at the store for $2.49.  When I checked out I got a store coupon for buy one get one free.  I went back and bought two more.  I got three packages for $4.98!  Super deal.  I also got another coupon.  I thought about getting two more right away.  I wasn't sure which of the flavors we'd like so I thought it would be best to wait.  I will be using the coupon now that we've tried some of the sausages.  The andouille was our favorite.





Sauteed Green Beans and Sausage

1 package smoked sausage, sliced
3 cans green beans, drained
1 can artichokes, drained and chopped up a bit
Soy sauce
French Fried Onions

Cook sausage in pan until a bit crispy and heated through.  Add green beans.  Continue cooking until green beans are hot and a bit crispy.  Add artichokes, cook another 5 minutes or so.  Add soy sauce and simmer 20 minutes or so.  Turn off heat and sprinkle FFO on top.  Grab a bowl and fork.  Eat.  Enjoy.

I'm not really sure how much soy sauce I use.  I just pour until it looks good.  Go light.  You can always add more.  A couple tablespoons maybe?  About five shakes of the bottle.  This was Target brand which comes out of the bottle much faster than LaChoy brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment