Sunday, January 22, 2012

Cheesy Chicken and Spaghetti Squash

I found a recipe today for spaghetti squash alla carbonaraThe egg part wasn't really something I wanted to mess with so I modified.  I definitely got inspiration from that original recipe, though.  I'm glad I stumbled upon that link.  We had a tasty, healthy dinner.

The boy wasn't a huge fan, but the husband liked it.  I've pretty much given up on the boy liking anything.  I keep telling myself that he'll eat when he's hungry, but I'm not so sure.  I don't think it's impossible for a child to like this.  Mine is just incredibly stubborn.  Someday he'll give in.  Someday...



Cheesy Chicken and Spaghetti Squash

1/2 of a spaghetti squash
1/2 pound bacon, cut into small strips
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
Salt and pepper
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp oregano
1 cup milk
1/3 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Fry bacon until crispy.  Remove bacon from pan.  Drain fat, reserving the crispies and a bit of grease in the bottom of the skillet.

Cut a spaghetti squash in half lengthwise.  Scoop out seeds.  Place on microwave safe plate, skin side up.  Cook 10-15 minutes, until fork tender.  Save half for another use.

Cook chicken in reserved bacon grease and crispies.  Salt and pepper the chicken to taste.  Add carrots and onion.  Cook until chicken is no longer pink.  Add mustard and oregano, stirring to coat chicken and vegetables.  Add milk; stir in cheeses.

Use a fork to scoop the spaghetti squash out of its skin.  Stir spaghetti squash and bacon into cheesy chicken mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment