Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pizza Casserole

I love making casseroles.  They're so easy!  Easy to make, easy to eat, easy to reheat.  A plain meat and a plain veggie on a plate bore me.  Throw them together in a casserole and give me a fork!

This recipe isn't grain free, though I wish I had skipped the grains.  It is delicious with the tortellini, just not very friendly to my body.  I'm not sure how many times I have to learn the "grains are bad for me" lesson but today I learned the hard way...again.  So you can make the choice.  Tortellini or no tortellini.  It will taste great either way.


Throw this in for a yummy casserole:

1 package frozen tortellini
Italian sausage (I used Jimmy Dean)
2 tbsp butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 onions, sliced
1 green pepper, chopped
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1 can Italian diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato sauce
Pepperoni slices
8 oz finely shredded mozzarella cheese

Cook tortellini according to package directions.

Cook sausage in skillet until no longer pink.  Remove from pan, set aside.  Drain fat, wiping with a paper towel if necessary.  Melt butter, add garlic, onions, and green peppers.  Cook five minutes or so, add mushrooms.  Cook five minutes more.  Add sausage back into pan, along with the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir together and heat through. 

Spray a 9x13 glass baking dish with cooking spray.  Layer tortellini in bottom, top with sausage mixture.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Lay pepperoni pieces on top, bake another 10 minutes.  Sprinkle with cheese, bake 5 more minutes until cheese is melted. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment